Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Veggie shepherds pie with a not-so-secret twist!!

Today's recipe is - Vegetarian Shepherds Pie!

I love shepherds pie its a delicious meal that fills you up perfectly. Before i go over my recipe i want to admit to cheating BIG TIME.. hence my title being the 'not so secret' twist.... after getting in from work i was exhausted and starving all at the same time! I just wanted to get cooking dinner done with so i could satisfy my hunger and relax :)

SO... normally when cooking Shepherds pie i would boil about 4-5 medium sized potatoes (for the topping of my pie) BUT I was just so tired and quiet impatient that evening and thought there must be some sort of quick fix!! ....DRUM ROLL PLEASE........ I, Jaspinder admit to using instant mash potato for my topping. I KNOW this is not a huge sin - many have probably done the same but none the less it tasted absolutely fantastic!!

Ingredients list:
1 large onion
4-5 garlic cloves
1-2 green chillies
peas & chopped carrots (fresh/frozen as per your preference)
Mushrooms chopped (optional)
Yves veggie ground (picture provided below)
4-5 medium sized potatoes ( I used instant mash this time :P)
1 cup of Veggie broth Or one cube of veggie Oxy
2-4 table spoons of plain flour.
salt & pepper to taste.

How to:
1. In a medium sized pan add alittle vegetable oil and add onions- once sautéed add in chillies, garlic.
2. Once this mixture turns slightly brown add in mushroom, peas, carrots and crumble the veggie ground in and mix. Let cook for 5 minutes
3. Add the plain flour making sure mixture is covered if more is need add accordingly.
4. Add in veggie broth, salt & pepper and mix well. Let cook for 5 minutes.
5. At this point you would be making your homemade mash BUT I used a packet of herb and butter instant mash. I got this ready in a bowl and set aside.
6. placed veggie ground mixture in a medium size Pyrex dish and added mash potato on top and spread all over. I added a nice swirling design
7. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins ( until mash on top starting browning)
8. Yay!! It's done! I served this with a baked beans ( because I'm British lol) and alittle salad on the side. You may also want to add some gravy to your slice of pie ( optional)

Has anyone ever tried veggie ground?? I use it in my lasagna ,pasta, burritos!!! I LOVE it!!

This recipe is brilliantly delicious!!

Let me know if you have tried this and I'd love to hear how it tasted.

If you have any requests for me please share in the comments below :)

Jaspinder x


***I apologize for the photos not being in order for some reason it wont allow me to fix this :( ***

No comments:

Post a Comment